Dr Miriam Welgampola, Neurologist at RPA Hospital, in collaboration with RPA Virtual is looking at a new model for early diagnosis of vertigo in general practice and emergency room settings (Meniere’s, BPPV or Vestibular Migraine).
Sheet 1 - overview
Sheet 2- expanded answers
Dr Celene McNeill of Healthy Hearing & Balance is looking into Pulsatile Tinnitus for those with Meniere’s Disease. Pulsatile tinnitus is the sensation of hearing a pulsatile noise in your ear which is in synch with your heart beat”. (20 August , 2023)
As this question keeps popping up, we ran another short survey (January 2023) - 153 participants
We ran a shorter survey (November 2019) with a few less questions and results are very similar - 144 participants
This survey was designed for research purposes collect information regarding diagnosis and treatment you have received at the various stages of your Meniere's journey.
The Royal Prince Alfred Balance Clinic are running a research program VERTIBGLOBAL which is a new method of diagnoses and management of vertigo. Any information you share, will help the researchers understand what it is like to live with Ménière’s disease. Thank you - Dizzy Anne
What is the survey about?
Many people seeking assessment of acute vertigo in the emergency department (ED) leave with neither a diagnosis nor an effective treatment.
We propose “VERTIGLOBAL” a new method of diagnosis and management of vertigo in ED. All patients presenting with vertigo in 8 hospitals will receive this test and treatment.
It will consist of:
- an electronic history
- recording eyes using video glasses
- using a management plan (algorithm) to isolate the different causes of vertigo in ED and initiate treatment
VERTIGLOBAL will be offered by a nurse (8 hospitals) including:
St Vincent’s, Sutherland, St George, Campbelltown, Wollongong, Hobart, Gold Coast.
There will be an intervention arm (INT) and a treatment as usual arm (TAU). Initially all 8 hospitals will belong to TAU. Gradually all 8 will be moved into INT. We will compare the following for INT and TAU
- Symptom severity at 1wk, 3m, 6m
- Rates of admission
- rates of work loss
- money spent on tests
We expect this intervention to enable early, accurate diagnoses and better treatment of vertigo, improved health and wellbeing and less unnecessary tests. Less missed stroke, Less misdiagnoses
in the short term: 8 hospitals will have an emergency vertigo service they never had if we demonstrate clear improvement in “Dizziness Handicap” (which is based on patients’ symptom severity after treatment) using this method, we could spread VERTIGLOBAL Australiawide and introduce it internationally
I ran a survey comparing sufferers who have unilateral Meniere's and the number who have bilateral Meniere's.
The results are quite interesting.
The survey was run over over seven days with 144 participants responding to most questions (not all questions were answered)
Please see attached PDF for results at 1 November 2019
Where are you now?
I have been contacted by USYD student doing research on Meniere's Disease. The student is Imelda Hannigan, a registered nurse who has worked in neuro-otology for many years whose supervisor is Prof. Miriam Welgampola. They are interested in the lifelong impact of Meniere's disease for those who have had gentamicin injections or surgery ."
It would be appreciated if you can support the Uni in their research by answering this short Questionnaire.
Please copy and paste the questions into an email to:
Complete and send to me.
This questionnaire relates to those who have had gentamicin injections or surgery to control their Meniere’s Disease.
Have you had any surgery or gentamicin injections to control Meniere’s disease? Yes/No
Ongoing balance Symptoms?
- When was your last vertigo attack? How long did it last?
- Do you take any medication to control your vertigo?
- Have you any imbalance when walking?
- Have you had any drop attacks or falls in the last 12 months?
- Do your symptoms go away when you are still, sitting or lying down?
Ongoing hearing symptoms:
- Do you have hearing loss? Right ear/Left ear/Both/None?
- Tinnitus? Right ear/Left ear/Both/None?
- Is your tinnitus?: Constant/Occasional/other
- Is your tinnitus: Pulsing (like a heartbeat/Buzzing/Other
Impact on life NOW:
- Does Meniere’s Disease still affect your day to day life? YES/NO/comment
- If ‘YES’ is it: a lot/a little
- Does Meniere’s disease prevent you driving? all the time/sometimes/no/other
- Does Meniere’s disease stop you doing your work? all the time/sometimes/ no/other
- Does Meniere’s disease stop you going out socially? all the time/sometimes/no
- Does it stop you caring for or participating in family? all the time/sometimes/no
- Do you feel Meniere’s disease is affecting your overall health? YES/NO
- Do you suffer headaches? YES/NO?
- If ‘YES’ do you take medication for the headaches?
Copyright - Anne Elias - All Rights Reserved.